As of yesterday the remodel of our main upstairs bathroom began in earnest. The contractor came and first we went shopping for materials. We use a service called Handyman Connection and they only charge for labor. You have to supply the materials, and the contractors will go with you (to either Lowe’s or Home Depot) and help you select the materials if you don’t know what you need. This is a great system because then they cannot mark-up the cost of the materials like some contractors can (and do).
Last year when we had the basement bathroom quoted out by both Handyman Connection and an independent contractor – the independent guy marked up the materials cost 3-4x what we ended up being able to get them for at Home Depot. His labor costs were also much higher. Needless to say, we’ve been very happy with all the folks Handyman Connection has provided to us for our projects and we’ll continue to use them as we work on the rest of the house.
Anyway after the shopping they began tearing out the tile and the drywall around the shower/tub area. One thing I feared was mold – and sure enough there was lots of it in the wall. We’ll need to replace all the insulation and they are going to use proper water-proof wall material this time instead of standard gypsum board. They also put in the new window we purchased (low-e, tempered glass, vinyl frame). Will be much nicer than the old single pane, rotting wood frame window we had.
Besides the bathroom, we’re also redoing all the flooring in the upstairs – replacing the old carpet with laminate “wood.”
Today the laminate is being laid down, the old bathtub has been smashed out and will be replaced, along with the new fixtures we picked out. Once that’s done the new insulation and wall materials can go up so the new tile can be added tomorrow. If things go according to plan the bathroom might actually be done by this coming Sunday (we’ll see!).
You can follow the progress of this project on the Bathroom Remodel 2010 photo page.